George Bernard Shaw once said, “The man with a toothache thinks everyone is happy whose teeth are sound.” With so much effort being put to make the quality of life better, there is also a growing number of problems associated with teeth. It is not uncommon for people to develop dental problems. It has become imperative for people to take proper care of their teeth. A visit to the dentist thrice a year is recommended to maintain the health of your teeth. The need for dental services is rising in our daily lives. People suffer from some of the common dental problems such as cavities, sensitive teeth, gum-related diseases, crooked, broken teeth, bad breath, and so on.
Apart from that, there are orthodontic conditions that people live with and need to be addressed on time to ensure oral health is not compromised. Dentistry has several branches and Orthodontics is one of them that treats misalignment of teeth, the medical term for which is Malocclusion. Malocclusion is a condition when the teeth are not properly positioned. Dentist services include surgeries for treatment of such orthodontic conditions and more.
Some Of The Common Orthodontic Conditions That Require Dentist Services Are
- Crossbite: It is a condition which if not treated early may result in serious dental problems such as chronic pain and gum diseases later on. Crossbite is the condition where the teeth do not properly align when the person is biting down. It is easily treated by orthodontists with the help of a simple instrument. If the person has an upper jaw smaller than his lower jaw, it causes a problem to the lower jaw while closing the mouth because the upper jaw acts as a frame. Orthodontists use an appliance that lets the lower jaw re-center while also adjusting the width of the upper one.
- Crowding of teeth: Crowding is an orthodontic condition that affects the bite and smile of a person. It is a condition where the mouth is not able to accommodate both baby and permanent teeth. If the permanent teeth come out before the person loses his baby teeth it can lead to crowding. As a result, the alignment of the jaw and tooth does not remain proper. If the person loses his baby teeth earlier than what is normal and develops permanent teeth that also results in crowding teeth.
- Overbite & Underbite: These are two conditions related to Malocclusion where the length of the jaws is responsible for this problem. A person is said to be having an overbite if his upper jaw is longer than his lower jaw. Similarly, an underbite is a condition when the person’s lower jaw is longer than his upper jaw. Causes of overbite can be either hereditary or if a person used to resort to thumb sucking in his childhood. Whereas, an underbite is caused when the lower jaw is improperly aligned.
Dentist services are the common services related to dental problems that dentists provide such as dental implants, bridging of teeth, filling of cavities, whitening, and bleaching, treatment for a root canal. Surgery of gums, bonding, and a crowning of teeth are also treatments for diseases related to gum infection, tooth decay, broken teeth, and stained teeth.
Few Orthodontic Treatments That Come Under Dentist Services:
- Straightening or Aligning of teeth: With the help of braces, orthodontists can fix the alignment of misplaced teeth.
- Extraction: This is a surgery when a decaying tooth beyond repair is extracted. This is not only done for extracting decaying teeth but is also done if a person has a severe toothache. In such a situation, the problematic tooth is diagnosed and extracted if required.
- Dentures: Dentures are an artificial replacement of natural teeth. If a person has lost all his natural teeth, he can opt for dentures. These are also called false teeth and they can be either partial or full.
To maintain a confident smile, it is necessary to have a healthy set of teeth. Whenever there is a need to visit a dentist, it should not be overlooked.